Free Consultations. Call Today (803) 328-1800
Burnette & Payne Attorneys at Law | Rock Hill, SC | girl calling after accident

What to Do if You’re Involved in an Auto Accident

Personal Injury


If you’re involved in an auto accident—especially one that wasn’t your fault—it’s extremely important that you take the proper steps to protect yourself. Although you may not think you’ll have to file a personal injury claim, it’s always better to be safe rather than sorry.

First, get medical attention immediately if you are hurt. Your health and well-being are always the top priorities. Even if you don’t think you’re injured, it’s still a good idea to see a doctor. Some injuries don’t present symptoms right away. These records will help prove your case should you have to file a personal injury claim.

Once you’re sure you’re okay, make sure you stay at the scene of the accident. If you were at fault, or if any injuries or property damage occurred, you could be charged with a hit-and-run if you leave too soon.

Next, call the police. You’ll want them to observe the scene and assist with any traffic or bystanders. You’ll also need them to file an official report in case your claim goes to court.

You’ll then want to exchange insurance information with the other parties involved. Get as much information as possible, including the policy number, name of the driver as listed on the policy, and the make and model of the other driver’s vehicle. If possible, take a photo of the other driver’s insurance card. It’s the fastest way to make sure you have all the information you’ll need.

While you’ve got your smartphone out, take photos of any damage that occurred. You’ll be able to document what happened to your car, other vehicles, and any other property that was damaged.

After the initial shock of your accident has worn off, you’ll be able to focus on the process of filing your insurance claim. If you did sustain any injuries, you’ll also be focused on your recovery. During this time, you should consider hiring an experienced personal injury attorney to represent you.

If you need a personal injury lawyer in Rock Hill, call BurnetteLaw, LLC. Attorney Charlie Burnette has handled many cases involving auto accidents and motorcycle accidents. He can assist you with filing a personal injury claim in South Carolina. Call (803) 328-1800 for a consultation.