Frequently Asked Questions

General Frequently Asked Questions

What will the legal service cost?

You are entitled to know, to the extent that we can reasonably inform you at your first visit, what your fee will be. We encourage a frank, open discussion about our fees with each client at the time of the first interview.

Our lawyers are paid under various fee arrangements:

Hourly fee: On an hourly fee basis, fees are based on an hourly rate for services rendered. A monthly itemized bill will be given to you showing all work done on your case.

Flat fee: On a flat fee basis, your legal fee is a single amount for services.

Contingency fee: On a contingency fee basis, your legal fees will be based on the amount of recovery we get for you plus costs. If you get no recovery, the attorney gets no fee. Not all cases qualify for the contingency basis.

Other potential fees: A pre-payment, also known as a retainer fee, often will be required in order to begin to process your matter. The retainer fee will be placed in a trust account. You will be billed monthly and your retainer fee will be used to pay your bill. You will be advised as to how that retainer is being used.

What about litigation costs or out-of-pocket expenses?

In addition to legal fees, there are various expenses that must be paid to others in order to prepare your legal matter. For example, payments must be made to obtain necessary reports or copies of necessary documents, to employ court reporters to take depositions, to obtain licenses or permits from governmental authorities, to obtain medical records, to file suits in courts of law, to hire experts, in addition to other outside entities that are necessary to help your cause. Generally, the amounts of these charges will be in direct proportion to the complexity of the matter involved. The easier your matter is to solve, the less these costs ordinarily will be.

Personal Injury Frequently Asked Questions

What types of cases are considered personal injury?

Personal injury cases are incidents in which injuries or deaths have occurred as a result of another’s carelessness, recklessness or intentional wrongdoing. The other person’s negligence may be the result of a motor vehicle accident, dog bite, slip and fall, medical malpractice, defective products or many other possible events.

The Insurance Company has offered me a quick injury settlement in my case. I am still hurting, so should I accept it?

You should never accept any personal injury settlement until you have completed all of your medical care and have been released by your doctor. If you settle your case, you are forever barred from getting treatment or getting any other recovery.

Can I settle my property damage claim before my injury claim?

Yes, but you should always consult an attorney before signing a release because it may contain language that also waives other claims like loss wages, pain and suffering, or medical payment reimbursement.

Do I need an attorney to help with my claim?

If you are injured in an accident, you should always consult an attorney. There are many things that play into a fair settlement such as Medicare, Medicaid, and health insurance subrogation interests and hospital liens, which can be asserted against you individually if not handled correctly and timely. Recovering damages for your accident is often a difficult and complicated process. Dealing with medical bills, insurance adjusters, and maximum coverage thresholds when you are struggling with an injury can be overwhelming. The insurance companies have an army of adjusters and lawyers on their side, so why would you want to fight them alone? Our seasoned attorneys have the skills and experience to deal with insurance companies.

What is Personal Injury Protection (PIP) or Medical Payments (MedPay) insurance?

Personal Injury Protection (PIP), also known as Medical Payments (MedPay), is a form of no-fault insurance available to auto insurance policyholders and other qualifying people who are injured in auto accidents. This insurance covers medical treatment expenses, wage loss, and death benefits, among other benefits. If you are injury in an accident, it is important to determine whether you qualify for these benefits.

Should I talk to the insurance companies if they call?

Because you are pursuing an attorney, we would recommend that you simply let them know you are seeking an attorney to represent you in regards to your bodily injuries.

Family Law Frequently Asked Questions

What are grounds for divorce in South Carolina?

Adultery, habitual drunkenness, physical cruelty, abandonment, and living separate and apart for at least one year (no fault).

How much does a divorce cost?

The Family Court charges a filing fee of $150.00. Attorneys charge by the hour. The number of hours required by the attorney depends upon the issues involved. For example, if custody is an issue or if there are complicated asset issues, the attorney will need to spend more time on the case and the fees will increase. The parties can avoid fees by cooperating and negotiating a reasonable settlement.

Is mediation required for a divorce in South Carolina?

Mediation is mandatory if there are any contested issues.

Do you have to have a lawyer to get a divorce?

Although you are not required to hire an attorney in South Carolina, you should. Going through the divorce process on your own can be frustrating and difficult. The advice and knowledge of an attorney is most important to protecting your interests.

Let's Work Together

Get in touch

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.